Flatcoated retriever is a fun dog. It is a wonderful pet to have as your companion and it will keep you on your toes all the time. As it’s a very active dog, you will need a lot of patience to train the dog. They take some time to learn and so you need to train them carefully. Here are some training techniques you should apply.
- You should always use positive reinforcement to train your flat-coated retriever. They won’t react positively to any kind of harsh treatments. So, give them reward after they have accomplished a certain task. You can also say nice comments to encourage good behavior.
- You should take your puppy to a place where you two can go for a long walk without any disturbance. This will give your puppy room to explore the environment. You should teach the puppy to come back to you when called.
- You should teach your dog to fetch things. You should use soft things like tennis balls and throw them at a small distance. Then you should ask your puppy to fetch it for you. You should praise your puppy for the task and give reinforcement if needed. The flat-coated retrievers have a natural instinct for fetching things. So, you should train them well in this aspect.
- The flat-coated retrievers have short attention spans. So, you should space out the training sessions. If you notice that your pet is getting lost, you should immediately stop and then pick up later on from where you have stopped.
- They will be able to learn lots of vocabulary if you teach them properly. You should use short commands and repeat them so that they remember it.
- These are very active and energetic dogs. You should take them outside often for exercise. You should have lots of toys around your house for them to play.
- You should introduce your pet to birds. You should let him sniff it and then pick it up as well. The dog should get the feel and smell of birds. That way you will be able to take him hunting.
- You can use an electric collar for training your dog. It is very effective in teaching obedience commands. You can look at books or videos to learn how to use these effectively.
These are very useful tips for training your flat-coated retriever. You should start training your dog at an early age. You should have patience and try to learn from different books and online sources on how to train your dog properly. A well-trained dog will be able to help you in many ways. They will be a great company and very useful for bird hunting.
Continue Reading →
If you are considering having a flat-coated retriever for your home, then you have made an excellent decision. This breed of dog is a great family companion. If you have children at home, they will love their new friend. Before you bring a flat-coated retriever to your home, here are some things you should know about this type of dogs.
Its origin is in England and has been found since the 19th century. Two gentlemen S.E. Shirley and H.R. Cook contributed a lot to the development of this breed. It is a cross between Newfoundland and other types like sheepdogs, setters, water dogs, etc. The flat-coated retriever dog is known as the oldest type of retriever breeds. Its need was felt when shooting birds became a widespread sport in the 19th century. A dog was needed to retrieve the dead birds.
The flat-coated retriever dogs are very active. They are always in the happy mood and will give you a good time. They can be a great companion for the children. They love to stay outdoors and play the fetch game. They like to chew on things. So, you must have lots of toys in the house so that the dog can chew on them. As they are very active, you can’t let them stay alone for a long time. So, if you are a busy person and need to stay outside for a long time, this dog is not for you.
This breed of dog is very active. So, you will always need to feed him well. You should give him about 3.5 to 4.5 cups of dry food twice every day. You should make sure that you are giving high-quality food; otherwise, his health will deteriorate.
Type of training
The flat-coated retriever dog matures a bit slowly, so you will need to be patient during the training session. It might take some time to train them. You should use positive reinforcement techniques to train the dog. Harsh treatments will have a negative effect on the behavior of the dog. You can start with house training. You will need to provide a crate so that your house doesn’t become messy. This breed has the habit of eating their poop. So, you will have to remove the crate right after they are finished with their job.
During the 19th century, this breed of dog was very popular. It was used a lot in hunting. But slowly it’s popularity decreased after the World War I. Now again people are showing interest in this type of dog. A flat-coated retriever can boost the mood of your home. You will love his company. So, if you are looking for a pet to cheer you up, then you should go for the flat-coated retriever.
Continue Reading →